Thursday, April 22, 2010

Invisibility cloak


Happy Earth Day! (Right, like if you are meant to give someone a present) How's life guys? Having a good week? For me this week is sort of my deadline week, so I'm a bit rushed, but all ok. The other day I came across a bit of news, and since I think this is quite awesome, well, you know… let's talk about it, shall we?

I'm pretty sure you think I'm gonna quote Harry Potter here (sorry, not the case) but by judging the title you might think that way. Have you ever felt like disappearing without a trace? You know, like unplugging from the world and vanish from the face of the planet… and I'm not talking about hiding underneath the bed or getting a blanket, I really mean to disappear.

It turns out what I thought it was mere science fiction it's actually true. Maybe in a near future we might be able to be invisible, transparent to the naked eye… the implementations seem limitless. From the humanitarian to the recreational, from the stalkers (has to be said) to the military, you think on your own ideas!

Who are responsible of this creation? Well… such technology is work of the scientist at the University of Tokyo. Remember how the blue screen effect works? Just like the weather guy is in front of a blue wall and we see a world map instead. The difference here is, we will see the map but the weather guy will be gone (invisible, if you will). If you like video games I can tell you three words : 'Metal Gear Solid'… but the results are sort of more limited, but you've got the idea.

This is called optical camouflage (fancy name for invisibility, but anyway). There's a tiny inconvenient with cloaks though, if you think of a wall it's always flat and it doesn't move, and when we see it from the tv the camera angle rarely moves. In real life a cloak gets wrinkled and people move all the time, what to do? Well… they create more fancy names and attach some technology to them… that's the case for augmented-reality technology.

This starts to feel like a high school class, don't worry, we won't go into detail about it, just saying that hi-tech piece adds computer generated info to our vision (like glasses). In mortals words, is as if a camera was plugged to a camera filming what's behind someone with the cloak on and transmitting that image for us to see what's behind the cloak guy, all really really quick.

How does someone think about that solution? You got me, all I know is that it works and the results seem amazing to me. What would you do with such a cloak? I'm picturing many of you trolling about it saying stuff like: 'Yeah… I'd go to the ladies locker rooms'… c'mon guys, be original with those replies! For me? Probably I'd take a walk through town and see how people behave when they 'think' there're not seen, or maybe going to a club for free, I don't know, I'm spit balling here.

I know there're tons of cool things one can do. Leave all your answers in the comments section and I'll see you all this weekend… or not? Take care guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment